24 March 2011

I read something the other day that made me stop in my tracks and rethink an area or two of my life. Not sure what I'm going to do yet, but it's a start.

"The only test as to whether we ought to allow an emotion to have its way is to see what the outcome of the emotion will be. Push it to its logical conclusion, and if the outcome is something that God would condemn, allow it no more way."

I have a tendency to think that things like crushes, frustration, annoyance, melancholy moments, etc. are just little things. When, in reality, if I allow them to continue they will turn into lust (or forbidden love), anger, depression, etc. All of which God condemns. As Jesus' disciples would put it, this is a hard teaching, but something that is worthy of my time.

We cannot kindle when we will
The fire which in the heart resides,

The spirit bloweth and is still,
In mystery our soul abides;

But tasks in hours of insight will'd
Can be through hours of gloom fulfill'd

No comments: