12 July 2009

An odd realization

So I was sitting around with a bunch of coworkers a couple days ago, and a few of them were going on about all the birds they've seen and worked with, or seen, or studied. Made me feel remarkably inexperienced and insignificant. I came home, and while laying in bed, started thinking. I could achieve all those things if I really want to. I could spend a lot of money and time and study all the fascinating avian fauna of the world. But then again, why? I love them, yes. I find them amazing and beautiful, yes. But there is no actual significance to it, in the long run. And unless I can actually witness to these people who live for the birds (which, by the way, is very, very difficult), I feel like I'm wasting my time working with birds.

*gasp* did Emily just say that?

After thinking long and hard, and not getting much sleep, I've come to the conclusion that I want to work hands on with birds, and animals, but it must have some significance, or I just can't make myself care as much as I know I am capable of. That said, I've decided, one day, I will help start a self-sustaining orphanage somewhere in the world where I can teach people how to take care of their animals and lead a more productive life because of doing so. It's funny, the things that pop into our heads at 9:00 at night. But for some reason, this idea has stuck with me. Strongly. Anybody want to help make it come true?

Crazy? Yes.
Impossible? Nope. Not with God.

4 comments:

throughWaters said...

Yes! yes! An orphanage, it is! When shall we begin my friend? I'll have to plan another trip to Baja with you... I've never seen a better run orphanage than that one. When will you be back? When can we go?

And there's a series of prphanages in Africa that I've recently become aquaitned with. I like their style. Let's visit a couple of them, too, eh? I'm particularly interested in Tansania, Uganda, Kenya, or Nigeria. Next summer?

Em said...

Okay, I think Baja is a good start. I'll ask you and Alana to take good notes for me (since I know she'll want to help). I should be back sometime between October and December, so next summer would be good! I'm still considering a master's degree, but perhaps in animal care/management instead of conservation.
Any ideas on where to start looking for places in Southeast Asia? (since that's where I really feel drawn, for some unknown reason)

throughWaters said...

Southeast Asia, huh? I've got good peeps in Vietnam and some ChiAlpha alums have connections in Thailand. It's not really familiar turf for me.

But Nicole Norwood just got back from China. And my sister is working on a plan to teach there for a year... perhaps it's time for me to think bigger.

Guinevere said...

1) Orphanage? Yes, please!

2) While doing day camp in Denver, I had the same sort of thoughts: I love(d) Camp Adventure, and I love children, but as Camp A does not allow evangelism, the most significant aspect of working with children is removed. Yes, children need camps and people who love them, but they need Jesus even more, so if Jesus is not a allowed into the program, it's not worth my while.

3) Orphanage? Self-sustaining? Sounds FANTASTIC! I'll let you know if God pushes me further into such a thing:)