05 November 2008

Since no one reads this blog anyway....

So, chickens. I like chickens. And farm stores. And wool gloves. And the smell of hay. And woolly cows. And horses with big hairy feet. And horses with small hooves. Ok, horses in general. And Carhart hats. In other words: I should have been born on a farm. Oh, and emus!

Anyway, that said I went to a wonderful farm store in Lewiston today and have decided that unlike most people of my age and gender and status in life, I love feed stores a million times more than I like malls. I think I want to move to the country someday soon... and so Em begins to dream, and if you read this... props?

LORD WILLING, My Life:

Once I graduate with my bachelor's degree I want to work in research for at least a semester and a summer to see how I like it, and what kind I like. After this I would fly to New Zealand (Dunedin, University of Otago) where I would get my master's degree with a focus on the conservation of endangered island birds. Hopefully the kakapo, kea, or kiwi :) Depending on how much I like the country, how the US is doing, who I meet, job options, etc. I may stay in NZ or come back to the US.

Either way, I will spend my days traveling and doing research (hopefully with the IUCN or through another conservation union or university), writing and publishing papers, maybe writing some other books too, being the best witness I can be to fellow biologists, and probably not have very many pets during this time.

Once my wandering days are over (ha!) I hope to settle down either in a smallish community, or on the outskirts of a city and work at a university or zoo/wildlife park. I guess the good thing about conservation research is that as long as people care it will always be going on, so finding a job in it shouldn't be too difficult. And with research, you can do it forever (unlike heavy lifting :P)

I admit fully that I am a home-body so I will definitly settle down. But this home will be wonderful! Small house, one story with a loft... and a swing inside. But a big yard and barn where I can keep my scottish highlander, shire horse, innumerable chickens, ducks (add a pond to the list), cats, emu, and donkey. The sun conure will stay in the greenhouse/porch of my house. The cats will be indoor/outdoor because as much as I hate the hunting part, it's wrong to keep a cat cooped up all the time (but I love it when they sleep on you).

Yeah, and ya know, I wouldn't mind doing most of this with a wonderful, Christian, animal/biology loving, (tall), man. But that's something I have decided is a bit more difficult to think about than animals and research, things so straightforward, so unlikely to mess with your emotions. Not to say I'm cynical, I'm a hopeless romantic at heart. But I'm leaving this one up to God to suprise me with.

That said, I get the feeling my Lord is planning a lot of surprises for this type A control freak, and I'm looking forward to see what his mind, in its infinite wisdom and love, has in store for me.

I have no idea how I got here by starting with chickens, but hey :)

No comments: