09 June 2010

I love my job

I had an interesting day yesterday. Okay, it was also amazing, and also gross.

I got herded into the back of the deer chute with gloves and some lube and got my diploma in deer midwifery. The poor baby was being born upside down and would have suffocated pretty fast had we not pulled him out. I have the skinniest hands here, so I got the honor of reaching in and pulling out the hooves so that the rest of the little man would come out. We dried him off real good and brought him in the house because his mama didn't have a lot of milk. Funny thing though, it turns out he had a twin brother who was born later and seems to be nursing alright. Oh well, the mama certainly didn't have enough milk for twins! So I'm now the little guys mama (or at least he's fully convinced that I am!)

Interesting facts about newborn deer. They're immediately hungry. They're immediately trying to get up. They have a soft wax-like tip on their hooves that eventually dries and falls off. And yes, when they first start walking, they walk exactly like Bambi :)

No comments: