02 February 2011

Brrr *yawn*

Thought I'd post a lil' update thingie.

It's my Friday, and I am plumb tuckered out. I've closed the clinic three nights in a row, and for some reason, something always seems to happen that keeps me there until after 1 a.m. I really hope tonight will be a little better.
This week has been odd for a few reasons:
1) It's only February and baby season is upon us. We have 10 baby squirrels already (1 being only 11 grams), 2 cottontails whose eyes are still closed, a litter of 2 gram opossums (who sadly died shortly after arrival), and a brand new baby goat.

2) Saturday was 75 degrees, Sunday was 70, Monday it was 20, with a wind chill in the negatives. What the hell Texas?! Apparently the arctic storm that is hitting a large part of the U.S. right now decided to grace us with its presence. Which means frozen pipes, septic tanks bursting, heater malfunctions, and warm houses that just won't stay warm!

3) On the upside, I now know how change propane tanks, and light propane heaters like a pro. At 2:00 a.m. with white faced capuchins trying to grab me, no less!

4) We got a deer in last night who had been stuck in a fence for who knows how long, and when she finally struggled free, her back legs were frozen. It was one of the weirdest things I've seen in awhile; from her knees up she was warm, and from her knees down she was stiff and freezing cold.

I guess that's about it for now. I'm really tired, my eyes don't want to open all the way, but doggone it, I will make it through tonight! Lots of tea and hot chocolate required.

2 comments:

Calamity Colleen said...

Wow! A fifty degree temperature change might be a little drastic. Get some rest. Love you

Guinevere said...

Bring on the tea and hot chocolate! And possibly a wardrobe of warm, wintry clothes. Poor deer! It must have poor blood circulation in its legs.
Don't fire me for saying "it."