21 December 2010

A good day

It's 3 days until Christmas, 10 days until 2011, and somewhere around 349 days until I get to see most of you again.

I've made friends much more quickly than I expected to. So far, I love this place.

Today I got to start my 'official' apprentice training, and I had a great time. There were some sad moments today (we had to euthanize 4 super sick raccoons, and a baby squirrel died), but there were also some good moments too. Three young cottontails were released on property. I learned how to give sub-q fluids to a pigeon. Crazy thin skin! I was taught how to give IM injections to African sulcata tortoises. There are 10 or so giant sulcatas here, all living in a large, warm, hay filled room, and all have a diameter of at least 2 or 3 feet. They can be quite friendly (following you around, pushing you around, sniffing your shoes and pant legs) until you try to give them injections. They're faster and stronger than they look! I also got to give sub-q fluids to a young, dehydrated whitetail doe. She took it like a champ, even though Lindsey and I had to follow her around with the bag of fluids so the needle wouldn't come out. Last task of the day was to move our bobcat kitten outside to a day cage. I think he hated us all for putting him in a crate, but here's hoping he forgave us when he discovered his new cage, all decked out with bamboo, branches, hay, and blankets. So yes, good day :)

Speaking of 3 days until Christmas... I want a Christmas tree! Maybe I should just break down and buy a little one. And decorate it with popcorn, foil, and paper. And hope the cats don't eat it.

2 comments:

Hannah said...

what happened to the tinsel tree I sent you in the mail in Hawaii? You could use that :)

Em said...

Sadly, I think I left that in Hawaii, amidst the chaos that was last December :(